Friday, July 11, 2008

Night

Elie Wiesel introduces us to the Holocaust and the tremendous hell he and his family experienced during this period. He is the protagonist and the conflict is both external and internal. The external conflict is the treatment the Jewish people receive from their captors and the internal conflict is seen in Elie's feelings toward the captors and his lack of faith. The conflict is also man/man, man/circumstances/ man/self. There is symbolism when Mrs. Schachler screams of fire and then we see the crematorium.The point of view is first person.
I wonder how I would have responded to this treatment? Would I have tried to stop it, or would I just keep silent. In the Bible it is stated we( Christians, followers of Christ) will indeed be persecuted in the last days. Will we experience the same treatment the Jews did, or will it be something different. The mark of the beast was placed on the Jews when they had to take a number. Elie Wiesel seems to be a strong man. He continued to protect his father to the best of his ability. He demonstrated great,passonate love for another. Would I be willing to stand by my loved ones? Elie Wiesel had moved me.

1 comment:

debwrite said...

You have posed some very good questions. I think it is good to try to "get into" Wiesel's shoes and imagine what we would do if faced with the same circumstances. It is so unimaginable; do you think this could happen again? Nice job.
6/6