Saturday, July 19, 2008

The Glass Menagerie

In the Glass Menagerie the protagonist is portrayed by Amanda the mother. Amanda longs for her daughter Laura to be involved in a relationship. She goes to the extreme of arranging a gentleman caller for Laura. The antagonist is Tom her son. He longs to be out from under his mothers thumb and be free to be a writer as well as a spirited man. The foil is portrayed by Laura. She allows her mother to provide her a gentleman caller. Open conflict is seen between Amanda and Tom. We also see disappointment in Amanda as she finds out Laura had not finished school. Dramatic irony is present when Jim O'Connor kisses Laura and builds her up to feeling he is interested in her to find out he is engaged. He has set Laura free, but has also kept her in her state of inferiority. The theme is overcoming hurtles to be free from our feelings of failure.

The play was somewhat a let down. I wanted Jim and Laura to become an item. When he kissed her I thought back to my high school days when some guys would treat me like that. They would play with me and then let me down and go onto the next helpless victim.

1 comment:

debwrite said...

But do you think that Tom had ulterior motives, or was he truly a nice guy who just wanted to make Amanda feel "normal"? Nice analysis. 6/6
I received your 1st draft. I have a few comments that will be helpful, I hope! I don't think there is room right here, so I'll send comments to the e-mail address that you provided on the first day.